Kande Viharaya

Kande Viharaya

[ 40 MIN | 25.2 KM | OPEN IN MAPS ]

The temple was founded by ven. Karapagala Dewamitta thero in 1734, under the guidance of ven. Udugama Chandrasara thero who was then chief incumbent of Galapatha Raja Maha Vihara and a pupil of ven. Weliwita Sri Saranankara Thero. Since then the temple was renovated and developed time to time under state patronage that lead the temple to become a major Buddhist shrine in the country. In 1904 the Kshethrarama Pirivena, an educational institution for monks, was attached to the temple as a result of the efforts done by Ven. Hikkaduwe Sri Sumangala Thero. The pirivena acts as a center for Buddhist education in the country, is also conducted by the Kande Vihara.

KALUTARA WEATHER